Front-load washers offer superior cleaning power and efficiency, but without regular cleanings, a foul odor can detract from their benefits. How do I get my front load washer to stop smelling? Cleaning the door gasket and interior with the right methods and supplies can eliminate bad smells. Use these cleaning tips to remove dirt, debris, and odor when your Maytag front load washer smells bad.
Maytag Front Load Washer Smells Bad? Here’s What To Do.
Consistent cleaning not only eliminates odor but can maintain your washer’s performance. We’ll discuss how targeting the gasket and tub can decrease odor and prevent its return. But, first, knowing why your Maytag front load washer smells bad can illustrate how odor originates.
Why Your Maytag Front Load Washer Smells Bad
Unlike their top-loading counterparts, front load washing machines have a locking door with a watertight gasket that prevents leaks. They also utilize less water during each cycle, which can leave small amounts of dirt and detergent residue behind. These two factors, and the washer’s warm, moist environment, create the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. If your Maytag washer smells like rotten eggs, this bacteria has generated mold and mildew that can worsen with each wash cycle.
The following user errors can also contribute to odor:
- Using the wrong detergent: Front load washers require HE detergent that minimizes sudsing. Using regular detergent can leave an excess of suds that promote bacterial growth and can also result in a washer not draining properly.
- Adding too much detergent: Even HE detergent can leave behind odor-causing residue if too much is used.
- Lack of maintenance: If your washer smells bad, running another wash cycle will only add to the problem. Without regular cleanings, mold and mildew continue to accumulate.
Here’s how to clean a Maytag front load washer gasket and tub to get rid of bad smells.
How to Clean Maytag Washer Gasket
The rubber gasket around the washer’s door is a common catchall for dirt and residue that can harbor smelly bacteria. Regular cleanings can remove this debris and eliminate odor.
Follow these steps for cleaning front load Maytag washer gasket:
- Open the washer door and pull back the gasket so the inside is accessible.
- Remove any visible debris like hair, buttons or coins.
- Spray the gasket with hot, soapy water or a commercial mildew cleaner and wipe it down with a clean cloth or paper towel.
Wondering how to clean mold from a front load washer gasket? Use an old toothbrush to scrub the spots with a 10% bleach solution.
How to Clean Inside Front Load Washer
The interior also requires a thorough cleaning when your Maytag front load washer smells bad. Without regular cleanings, the continually damp environment spurs the growth of mildew and odor.
Here’s how to clean the interior when your Maytag washer smells like mildew:
- Sprinkle ⅓ cup of baking soda inside the empty washer tub and close the door.
- Pour 2 cups of white vinegar in the detergent dispenser.
- Start a regular wash cycle with hot water and run it to completion.
- For persistent odor, pour 2 cups of bleach in the washer’s bleach dispenser and run a second wash cycle.
As an alternative, refer to your user manual to determine if your Maytag washer has a Clean Washer cycle. This setting uses additional water and commercial tub cleaner or bleach to clean the tub and remove mildew and odor.
Tips to Prevent Washing Machine Odor
Regular maintenance and a few small changes to your washer use and care can prevent odor from returning.
Use these tips to keep washer odor at bay:
- Clean the tub and gasket regularly: Maytag recommends running the Clean Washer cycle with Affresh tub cleaner once a month, or every 30 wash loads. Check the gasket for debris after each wash cycle and clean with hot soap and water on a monthly basis.
- Use detergent correctly: Always use HE detergent for front loading machines in the amount recommended on the package.
- Remove clothing promptly: Taking clothing out as soon as the wash cycle ends decreases tub moisture.
- Leave the washer door ajar when not in use: This allows for increased airflow that dries the interior, minimizing mold and mildew growth.
If your Maytag front load washer smells bad even after these maintenance tips, a repair may be in order. For an expert Maytag washer repair contact the professionals at Capital City Appliance Service!